Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Wonder Pages 1-26

Wonder - Pages 1-26

Ever hear stories about a genie in a magic lamp? This is what a magic lamp might look like.


Doogie Howser was a TV show in the 1980s and 1990s about a genius kid who becomes a doctor at age 16. What does it tell you about the doctor when Auggie was born if his parents kept calling him Doogie? (Um, Doogie's the one in the front.)


Most of us are familiar with Star Wars, and get ready for a ton of Star Wars references in the book. Auggie says that he and Christopher used to play with toy lightsabers, probably something like these. (I think I have a couple of these at home from Max!)


Dragon Rider is a book by Cornelia Funke, who also wrote Inheart, Inkspell, and Inkdeath. Imagine reading this when you were six years old. That's kindergarten!


I wish I had some red Adidas shoes like Mr. Tushman.


Rubik's Cube was a popular toy in the 1980s, and no, I could never solve it on my own. Here's the original one plus one made with mirrors like Mr. Tushman has on his desk.

  

Mr. T. was a big time celebrity in the 1980s. He was on the original A-Team TV show. He was also a boxer in one of the Rocky movies, Rocky III. One of his famous catchphrases was, "I pity the fool who ..." followed by some sort of description. Something like, "I pity the fool who doesn't read books!"


Auggie says that Charlotte is wearing green Crocs, probably something like these. Is it important that Auggie has already mentioned other people's shoes twice three times? (I forgot about noticing Mrs. G's brown sandals with the purple flowers.) Does that tell us something about him?


So what is the difference between a tuba and a baritone? Is it worth getting in an argument while giving a school tour? Can you tell the difference? Can you tell which is which?

 

*All images linked to their source.

2 comments:

  1. In the book Aggie's mom and dad mention that one the nurses as a Doogie because she was smart. I think that Aggie mentions shoes so much because he's to shy not to look down to the ground. The one on the left is a tuba and they might fight on which instrument because they sound different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Auggie mentions shoes so much because he is afraid to look at people because they would think he was a freak. I actually can not tell which instrument is which, but I can see that the one on the left is a little more complicated that the right one, and I'm not sure if this occurs to all baritones and tubas, but the one on the left is a bit darker gold than the right one.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete